Monday 20 February 2012

Mocha Light Frappuccino (with Skimmed Milk) -Starbucks

This blog is pushing me to try new things, stuff I wouldn’t normally choose or even consider. But there’s something about reviewing recipes and food that’s giving me an interest again…I’m still cutting corners and lowering calories on those, but pulling myself out of monotonous bowls of cereals and soup is hopefully the first step of further recovery? (Oh, how I’d love to be able to chow down on stuff when I’m hungry, or fancy it, and not when and what my inevitable calorie-controlled rations dictate).

Now, before I started all this phiff phaff in my mind and could actually act normally (well, kind of!), I used to only ever get one thing from Starbucks if I visited. The fabled crème Frappuccino, usually vanilla and, yes, with whipped cream on top. I’ve never really gotten into coffee or tea, and the sugary creamy drink really hit my sweet tooth.

(Note to readers – my first coffee was a baptism in fire. My dad bought me one to ‘wake me up’ when I was feeling sleepy on the ski-slopes, one holiday long ago. Little did I know it was a double expresso shot, and took a massive gulp!

…though I did finish it after much grimacing. It did the trick though, maybe a little too well as my inexperienced, younger self got a whopper caffeine kick a tad later!)

Of course, coming in at a hefty 230 calories for a small, it wasn’t going to be my first choice again any time soon. So I decided to try the “Mocha Light Frappuccino”, (minus cream & with skimmed milk) which came in at a more acceptable 96.
It had all the three things I wanted – guilty mocha for my chocolate addicted sweet kick, the ice base of a frappuccino, and most importantly, coffee, which is something I’ve been meaning to try again for a while now. (Yes, I know the mocha is a slightly wimpy start to coffee, but I didn’t want to be put off!)


My Opinion:
Now this was cold. Obviously so, since it contained ice, but when I turned around and saw there was no seating I was forced to go walkabout in the freezing wind, (which probably turned down the enjoyment a bit!)
Ok, ok. /endgrumble
Anyway, on a rather eager first slurp, I was hit by the taste of coffee, and took an instant dislike to it, disappointed by the lack of mocha/chocolate flavour. Deciding I’d rather chuck it than waste calories on something unenjoyable, I began walking to the nearest bin.
Now let me tell you, I’m so glad that I took a few more sips before I reached said bin, because for some reason, my opinion changed dramatically. I went from hating it to rather enjoying it. (Which shows you that you’ve got to give things a second chance!)
It was strange how the more I tasted, the more I liked it. Tastewise it grew on me, and I could taste the other flavours alongside the coffee, which didn’t seem overpowering or strong at all anymore! The blended ice gave it a satisfying bulk and slush, plus made it seem a little more substantial than the amount of actual drink that was in there. (I laughed a little here as it occurred to me that I was paying a wince inducing – for a student, anyway - £3.20 for something that was mostly frozen water. Touché, Starbucks, touché).
Now I’ve never had skimmed milk in a drink before, normally I’d go for semi. Consequently the frappucino felt like it could have been a little more creamier, and was missing just that little extra that the semi-skimmed might’ve given it.
In hindsight, the terrible initial slurp was probably more due to surprise, as I’d somehow tricked my mouth into thinking it was about to get something much more chocolatey and sweet.

But, all in all, it was a surprising drink, and I’m looking forward to trying out other coffees in the future! (Though perhaps not any more frozen Frappucinos whilst the weather is still so darned cold!)

Verdict: 7.5 out of 10
(I really liked how it grew on me after that ‘horrible’ first sip, but the calories are still a little too high to merit an 8. A bit too expensive to become a regular).
Cost: £3.20

--

No comments:

Post a Comment